Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Color Fred - Bend to Break



I like this album. A lot. Fred Mascherino, of both Breaking Pangaea and Taking Back Sunday fame, recently split from TBS to pursue his solo career, which was probably a good thing. Well, Elliott Smith breaking away from Heatmiser was also a God-send. In any event to gain a frame of reference for this album, think about the back-up vocals for TBS, except all the time. To be honest, it's Taking Back Sunday, minus Adam Lazzara. That's the only way I can describe it. There are even parallels to TBS ("I'll Never Know" sounds just like "New American Classic"). So, I suppose I'll have to knock this album for creativity, although supporting instrumentation on this album is much better than TBS or Breaking Pangaea. The latter of the two was just rough, rough music. Bend to Break is a nice showing of the talent that Mascherino has, both as a songwriter and as a musician. I'm giving it a good rating because it sounds like TBS, and I like TBS. Conversely, if you don't like Taking Back Sunday, don't bother downloading it. Standout tracks: "If I Surrender," and "Complaintor." Rating: 9/10

If I Surrender:


Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3wkgidgix1x

No comments: