Monday, January 28, 2008

Cold War Kids - Robbers and Cowards



First off, it was brought to my attention that I don't vary the "Rating" enough, and since this blog is essentially the music that I like, it becomes very apparent that there will not be very much variation. So that being said, no more Ratings because if it's here, I probably like it. Onto the important stuff:

Cold War Kids' 2006 release is actually a new catch for me. Over the summer my friend Doug introduced me to this independent and free-thinking album that breathes new life into my music collection. I'm currently not impressed with much of what I've been listening to, and to be honest, this album was kind of a turn-off from what I was normally used to. Branching out into new musical areas, this is definitely a highlight of the oft hard-to-define "indie-blues" genre that I seem to be finding more and more appealing with every listen (much in same fashion as alt-country). Clashing vocals with harmony generate a subtle act that emanates a soulful blues aura, while safeguarding a distinct indie-rock sound, reminiscent of a White Stripes. Varied and interesting, the lyrics revolve around introspection which, when backed with the essential organic instruments, places you in the middle of the album. If you haven't moved beyond your pop-punk, or uniquely hardcore world in a bit, snag this album. Standout Tracks: "Hang Me Up to Dry" and "Saint John."

Hang Me Up to Dry

Link (download both, open up the .zip file and it should all work):
http://www.mediafire.com/?4gdjdmty2it
http://www.mediafire.com/?8fscnnxoyyz

1 comment:

Isa said...

thnx! ;) really cool album, had been looking for it for a while. :)