Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Margot and the Nuclear So and So's - The Dust of Retreat




Continuing on my indie kick, I bring you an 8-piece band that also has as many words in their name. They bring a slightly depressing album, delivered in rhythmic sound that somehow leaves me feeling a little better than when I started listening, which I suppose should be the goal of all bands. The Shins come to mind, except a little slower, more folk, and sometimes bordering on insane ("Paper Kitten Nightmare")...perhaps with a little Decemberists thrown in. Being an 8-piece band, Margot does really well musically by not flooding the speakers with extraneous noise. That's where the production comes into play, and is where the band really shines. Again, think The Shins. I think I'm done with indie for awhile, hopefully this should hold you over. Standout tracks: "Jen is Bringin' the Drugs," and "Talking in Code." Rating: 8/10.

http://www.mediafire.com/?49ycgm95njm

No comments: